06162010076
11 Comments

Walking the Dogs & Other Inspiring Activities

Written by in Profiles

Parks & Recreation: All around us we find these adored, small community parks.

Most are named for someone.

Ever stop — and wonder — who this person was?

What they did to deserve such an honor? Ask yourself this: would you rather be remembered for a hallway, bridge, conference room or pocket park? A PR Award, measure of heat, font family  or a place where your kid loves to swing? I would love to have a park named after me. Hmm. I am going to find out who Sidney Marcus was to see what it takes. My dogs love this park and I am glad we have it.

Everyday we do routine chores that hold opportunities for creative inspiration. if we meet the world with open minds… and open ears and eyes. So, for the course of this summer, I will post an idea once a week that occurs to while walking my three dogs. They are enough to inspire me to joy and laughter with their daily shenanigans and con jobs.

Our friend Keri Smith posts to her blog, Wish Jar, almost every day. Amazing. Okay, how about we “WALK THE DOG”  once a week? What do you do each day that holds opportunity for creative inspiration? Where and when do you let your mind just  wander?

Let’t take a walk… and get inspired. Suggest your own ideas and send images to matt@porterwrite.com.

IMG_0930

These could have been anybody’s Three Muskateers.

But we adopted them instead.

Adopt. Neuter. Spay.

Love them  for life.

1. 06
    8:48pm
    Karen said:

Let’s see a pic of the dogs!

2. 06
    7:57am
    Matt Porter said:

Reader Karen wanted to see the Three Tenors (Golden Retrievers) who have inspired the last post. At her request, they are now public.

3. 06
    8:04am

I just returned from an early morning walk with my dog Essie to this great post. I too get creative inspiration when walking the dog!

I think it’s partly because dogs don’t let us overthink things. When we’re with them, we are forced to live in the moment just as they do. I once clipped a quote from a magazine that says something like: a dog can walk to the same patch of grass every day, and each day find something new to sniff. It goes on to say that dogs don’t worry about the past (why didn’t my owner feed me chicken?) or future (will my owner feed me chicken tonight?) I thought this was a brilliant way of looking at living in the present.

Taking a walk with Essie forces me pry myself away from the computer and see the world around me, which inevitably brings an inspiration or idea. At the very least, I return to my office more calm and relaxed.

4. 06
    8:47am
    Matt Porter said:

Lidia is so write. So right. I think dogs are lucky in that they don’t live long enough to get jaded by the world. By the time they are old enough to think “hey, I’ve seen it all,” it is time for them to go on to the Great Dog Park in the Sky. And time for us to go rescue another wonderful dog soul to remind us that life has more to offer than the accumulation of things.

5. 06
    8:59am
    Melissa M said:

Gosh, well the shower and the car immediately pop into my head. Two areas where I could probably sing cheesy pop songs less and focus on creative inspiration more. Also, my alarm goes off about 30 minutes before I actually get out of bed. I try to lie in bed and think positive thoughts about the day that lies ahead of me. Of course, I occasionally fall back asleep, but c’mon, it’s early! :)

6. 06
    1:06pm

“Daily Shenanigans and Con Jobs” How true is that? LOL
    They don’t even talk and dogs can get us to do things they want with simple looks, noises, body language. It takes creativity to communicate with no words, doesn’t it? And an openness of one’s mind to be able to interpret their meaning.
    Can’t wait to read what you discover on your next walk in the park.

7. 06
    9:08am
    Billy said:

I love this post. I just rescued a Golden Retriever named Stanley. Taking him for an early morning walk (5:15am this morning) clears my mind, and seeing him so happy makes me forget about whatever is bothering me. That may be the best way to get inspired. Clear you mind of distractions. Whatever that is to you. Go for a run, take a long walk. When you are young, there are virtually no distractions in your life and your mind is just coming up with new ideas almost by the minute. I think when I walk Stan, I see that in him. He is excited to be outside exploring, without a care in the world. It reminds me to not sweat the small stuff.

8. 06
    11:07am
    Matt Porter said:

Thanks, Billy. Your insightful comment about youth was interesting. They say there are two golden ages of mankind: childhood and late adulthood. I can imagine the reason for both are similar. When you are a child you don’t know enough to worry. When you are a senior you know so much that you realize how useless worry is. I am closer to Seniorhood than childhood. Looking forward to it. I am learning, in this new economy, that less is more and that more is nuts.

9. 06
    11:40am
    Tad Dobbs said:

Our dog, Rusty, gets walked 3 times a day, and I’ve quickly discovered that this is the time that I come up with my best ideas. The time I spend walking and playing with Rusty allows me to passively solve the problems that I’ve been staring at all day. I think seeing how curious and carefree he is inspires me to do the same, even if it’s just rediscovering an old idea or in Rusty’s case an old patch of ground cover. I’m glad to hear that others pull inspiration from the same source.

@Lidia and Matt someone posted a great quote to my cousins facebook page after he recently lost his dog to cancer.

“I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren’t certain we knew better. They fight for honor at the first challenge, love with no moral restraint, and they do not for all their marvelous instincts appear to know about death. Being such wonderfully uncomplicated beings, they need us to do their worrying.” ~George Bird Evans, Troubles with Bird Dogs

Thanks for the great post. I can’t wait to read the follow-ups.

10. 07
    9:52am
    Todd said:

Thanks Matt for a lovely post.

11. 11
    8:40am
    Cori said:

My dogs and their simple, uncomplicated lives keep me grounded. The walks are the best, but some days I don’t have time for the walk. On those days, I try to at least join them outside once or twice in the back yard. Just walking outside on the deck while they play in the yard is enough to calm me.

Too often I let them out while I busy myself with another task. They are outside playing, barking at the neighbor dogs and each other, running around. I’m inside cleaning the kitchen. The kitchen can wait. Go outside and play with the dog. Pick up that oh-so-nasty tennis ball from the mud and throw it. The dog doesn’t care it’s dirty, and they will love the extra 15 minutes of your time.

Don’t have time for a walk? Try just going outside with your dog next time. Breathe the fresh air. Clear your mind. You’ll be glad you did.